Wednesday, January 22, 2014

During the past few days as I kept looking at this painting, I concluded that much more work was needed.  The range of values in the pitcher was too weak so I went darker with the darks and lighter with the lights.  After that, more contrast was needed for the background for the pitcher to show up better, so I decided the background should be much darker.  With that done, then the foreground looked pretty whimpy so I chose to make it a reflective dark surface.   I then pumped up the highlights in the figs and reworked their shadows.  For now, this painting is complete but as usual, I will hang it in a place where I can keep looking at it and make any needed changes that I see.

The lighter areas that show here behind the pitcher is from my flash reflecting off the wet paint.